Jack Thompson is a rabid, self publicist American lawyer who has made a reputation (and presumably money) for himself by a continued attack on video games, often using mistruths and deception to make his case. For instance here he is talking about the Virginia Tech shooting, misleading the public with a web of deceit. The Virginia Tech review panel report found no significant connection between gunman Seung Hui Cho’s video gaming and the April 2007 shootings at the Virginia Tech campus that resulted in 32 deaths. According to Cho’s roommate “Cho engaged in were studying, sleeping, and downloading music. He never saw him play a video game, which he thought strange since he and most other students play them.” Jack Thompson was telling the American public lies.
Then he appears on Fox News after the Illinois school shooting as a “Campus Shooting Expert” spouting complete and utter lies, blaming it all on video games once again. Any Campus Shooting expert would know that the U. S. Secret Service intensely studied each of the 37 non-gang and non-drug-related school shootings and stabbings that were considered “targeted attacks” that took place nationally from 1974 through 2000. The incidents studied included the most notorious school shootings, such as Columbine, Santee and Paducah, in which the young perpetrators had been linked in the press to violent video games. The Secret Service found that that there was no accurate profile. Only 1 in 8 school shooters showed any interest in violent video games; only 1 in 4 liked violent movies. Once again Jack Thompson is clearly seen filling the public’s minds with total lies.
The truth of the matter is that violent video games reduce crime significantly because they act as a catharsis.
So it is fantastic to see hoaxer Jack Thompson get his well deserved come uppance. The Florida courts have found him guilty on 27 charges including:
- Knowingly making a false statement of material fact or law to a tribunal
- Knowingly disobeying an obligation under the rules of a tribunal
- Communicating the merits of the case with a judge before whom the proceeding is pending
- Using means that have no purpose other than to embarrass, delay or burden a third person
- Engaging in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or misrepresentation
- Engaging in conduct in connection with the practice of law that is prejudicial to the administration of justice, including to knowingly or through callous indifference disparage or humiliate litigants or other lawyers
- Making statements that the lawyer knows to be false or with reckless disregard as to the truth or falsity concerning the qualifications or integrity of a judge
What we need to know now is how are the American news media going to undo the harm they have done over the years by using Jack Thompson to deceive and lie to the public with his self publicity hoaxing?