One day computerÂ games will largely replace teachers for most education and allÂ students will be educated way beyond our wildest dreams. And I don’t mean games as in Grand Theft Auto. I mean games as in a genre (or genres)Â that can still only be dreamed about. And I don’t mean educational software, I mean educational games.
Computer game learning has several advantages over human teacher learning:
- Each student can learn at their own pace, not at the pace of the slowest in the class.
- Each student would be continually monitored, so no daydreaming or doodling.
- The technical advantages of computingÂ such asÂ sound, moving pictures and interactivity would impart knowledge much more quickly than current means.
- Sophisticated gaming reward systems will incentivise students to a far higher level.
- They will be connected to pretty much all human knowledge.
- Non linear learning methods, which games can use, are far closer to our natural learning process so far more efficient.
- Connectivity will allow the whole class to inter-relate as a social community as part of the learning process.
What is really exciting is that we are, at last, starting to move in the right direction. Brain Age has removed the scales from people’s eyes. It has scratched the surface of showing the potential of this genre of games. But it is still very simple compared with what is to come.
So have the scales been removed from your eyes, or is this all wishfull thinking? Let us know by leaving a comment.