There is a lot going on just now, so here are some snippets:
- NBC are a massive media group 80% owned by General Electric and 20% owned by Vivendi. Amongst many things they own Universal studios. And it looks like soon they will own a piece ofÂ Sci/EIDOS in a $100 million deal. This will come as no surprise to readers here. It is just a further example of the powerful trends that are currently transforming the gaming industry. The only, continuing, puzzle is that Rupert hasn’t shown his hand yet. Surely he isn’t going to get left out in the cold?
- The Electronics Arts soap opera continues with them as the unwanted suitor of Take Two. There are almost daily twists and turns to the plot as both sides manoevre. EA are being steadfast whilst Take Two are wriggling like a worm on a hook. Silly really when the deal will be advantageous for most people. It is only the publishing staff at Take Two that will be scouring the jobs classifieds.
- Microsoft to spend a fortune promoting GTA IV. On the same scale as they spent on Halo 3. This is the critical point in this generation of the console war. With maybe 100 million worldwideÂ owners of non HD consoles waiting to upgrade the numbers are massive. Q3/Q4 this year is going to be even hotter than last year.
- Microsoft Xbox 360 sales double after price drop.Â This is brilliant stuff, exactly what price wars are about. We are now into the real meat of the 360 sales curve when the extra capacity Microsoft have brought on stream will be vital. The strategists in Redmond have become expert at the grand game of console wars.
- More on the Microsoft Xbox 360 gesture interface. Speculation is rife but it looks like they may be putting a near identical controller in each hand. Gesture interfaces really are the future of gaming. And many other applications too.